Soil and Water Conservation District
The Gates Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) is a governmental subdivision of the State of North Carolina and is organized to exercise public powers under the provisions of the North Carolina Soil Coservation District Law, Chapter 139 Article 1 as amended. The District works in conjunction with the Natural Resources Conservation Service.
The District Supervisors are charged with the responsibility of promoting and protecting our natural resources, which is done primarily through the cooperation of other agencies and local units of government.
Soil & Water Conservation
104 New Road
PO Box 61
Phone: (252) 357-0290 ext 3
Gatesville, NC 27938-0061
Fax: (252) 357-1242
Hours: 7:30 am - 4:00pm, Monday - Friday
Here are a few of the programs and types of assistance offered by the District:
- NC Agricultural Cost-Share Program (NCACSP)
- Conservation Poster Contests for 5th Graders
- Environmental Field Day for 6th Graders
- Forestry and Land Judging (Soils) Contests
- High and Middle School Envirothon Competition
- Environmental Education Programs and Workshops
- Gates County Soil Surveys
- Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP)
- Conservation Reserve Program (CRP)
- Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP)
- Drainage and Flood Prevention Assistance
These programs are offered to everyone, regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.